Monday 27 March 2017

Just Get Them Talking

I spent some time thinking that I needed to provide opportunities to get my literacy students talking and sharing their own opinions without worrying about giving a right or wrong answer.  I want them to be able to feel empowered to confidently share their own thoughts, opinions and feelings about a topic.

This term, as part of Cluster-wide Te Taiao o Tāmaki Inquiry, I had my students learning what it meant to be a kaitiaki of the environment. After a few weeks of reading about and discussing aspects of this topic, I asked the students what they would say to those viewing their blogs about being a kaitiaki of our local environment, including our Omaru Creek. They were asked to compile their thoughts, and record what they would say to their blog readers using an iPad.

I was pleasantly surprised to see their personalities soar when they were asked to complete a task that they were more familiar with after working with iPads in class for the past few years. I am going to be sure to provide more opportunities in the future for student opinion to be shared and heard on their blogs.


Here is one example of a student post from Norah Jade's Blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment